NBC Katrina Concert Special

Friday, September 02, 2005

I just finished watching this hour long concert special on NBC. The hour was filled with performances, celebrity pleas for assistance, and a look at the storm and its aftermath. As I sit here, I am choked up, and I felt tears coming to my eyes because the sights they showed were just heartbreaking. Images of the storm itself that I hadn't seen before tonight just shocked me. I knew it was bad, but I guess I didn't even really know the extent of this storm that took place last weekend.

The hour was filled with laid back musical performances by Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Wynton Marsalis, Aaron Neville, and Harry Connick Jr. The performances themselves had the bare minimum of accompaniment, but they were no less heartfelt and touching. Those performing were from the area and were directly affected by the storm. Celebrities such as Hilary Swank, Leonardo Dicaprio, Lindsay Lohan and Kanye West all spoke and asked for those watching to help those affected.

There was some criticism offered by one of the celebrities. Kanye West spoke impassioned about the way that African Americans in the area are being categorized. He spoke for a few moments on the subject, and it was obvious he was quite upset. It seems he expressing the sentiments that have been expressed by many in the last couple of days. He took the time he was given to speak out. Not everyone might agree with him, but he did speak out what some wanted to be said. An article about Kanye West speaking out on tonight's concert can be found here.

More concerts and telethons are being scheduled for later on this month. The six major networks are grouping together for a telethon on September 9th, and MTV is planning its own concert to be simulcast on VH1 and CMT for September 10th.

0 comments:

 
 
 
 
Copyright © One Couch Critic