American Idol: Top Ten Men

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I'm not honestly sure what happened with American Idol this week, but I didn't find myself entertained. Even more, I didn't feel myself amazed with any performer's particular performance to say there is the next American Idol. That happened last night with the females, and again tonight with the men. However, I did find myself enjoying the men more than I did with the ladies. I think that might be more about the song choice. The men picked some more current songs, at least some did in any case. While last night's songs were dominated by country. Tonight was dominated by soul and rhythm & blues. We did some country, and we some new pop too, and the variety was welcomed.

Last night, the women went in reverse order. However, tonight the men switched it up. They started in reverse order, but then they bounced around a bit. My two favorite performances of tonight's show were two of the last ones, Bucky Covington and Chris Daughtry. In fact, Chris is becoming my choice for American Idol. I've always been a bit of a rock girl at heart. First he performed Bon Jovi last week. Automatic points for him last week on that front. This week, he performed one of my all-time favorite Fuel songs. Bucky is great too, and I hadn't really paid much attention to him before the competition really got rolling. I definitely disagree with what Simon said about Bucky being a good pre-headlining performer. This week, Bucky did a great country rock performance with a song by Garth Brooks. Can't go wrong with Garth in my opinion.

I also enjoyed Ace tonight. He sang another one of my favorite songs. He was a bit tired though, which seemed to be a running theme of tonight's show. Last night, it was song choice. Tonight was the singer's not singing as strong as they could have. I'm not sure if I do recall how many of tonight's performers mentioning they had tired their voice. It shows you how committed they are to this competition, but they shouldn't sing so much that their voice doesn't shine when they get on stage. Song choice was the problem with one of tonight's performers, Elliot Yamin. He did a great performance, but the judges felt it was a bad song choice for him. I happen to agree. I also enjoyed Will Makar's performance, but the judges didn't.

I'm looking at the who we have left and thinking back over tonight's performances, and I'm not sure who will be sent home tomorrow night. If I had to pick based on tonight's performances, I'd say it is possible we're saying good-bye to Jose Penala and David Radford. Neither one were up to par with their previous performances. This week though it really is anyone's guess.

Check back tomorrow night for my thoughts on this week's eliminations. Here are the songs used on tonight's performance available on iTunes.

Taylor Hicks: Easy - Commodores
Elliot Yamin: Moody's Mood for love - James Moody
Ace Young: If you're not the one - Daniel Bedingfield
Gedeon McKinney: A Change is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke
Kevin Covais: I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye
Jose Penala: Overjoyed -Stevie Wonder
Will Makar: Lady - Kenny Rogers
Bucky Covington: Thunder Rolls - Garth Brooks
David Radford: The Way you look tonight - Frank Sinatra
Chris Daughtry:Fuel - Hemorrage (in my hands)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Sway and Will are getting the boot tomorrow night. I wasn't all that wowed this week either, but I thought the guys were better overall. I loved Elliot Yamin and Chris Daughtry this week!

 
 
 
 
Copyright © One Couch Critic