American Idol: The Top 4 Elimination

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Last night on America Idol, the final four competed by singing the songs of Elvis Presley. Each had to perform two songs, and they made it too close to me to even call who the bottom two would be this week. After some thought, I picked those two to be Katharine McPhee and Taylor Hicks. Will the last female go home, and make this a male's year as Randy protected early on in the season? Let's find out.

The show opened with a look back at last night's performances and judges commentary. After a commercial break, we saw another Idol music video with a special appearance by Kermit the Frog as they sang Wonderful World. This is a song Chris Daughtry had sung earlier in this competition. Next is shown more of the contestants trip to Graceland. Next, we see our four Idols once again on stage as they once again sing Elvis. Elliot opens up with Don't Be Cruel. Then the men sing us a bit of Blue Suede Shoes. Taylor then takes us into Heartbreak Hotel. Katharine then sings Are you lonesome tonight? Chris then ends it with a little bit of Love Me Tender. There were more. I thoroughly enjoyed this medley of Elvis though.

When we return from commercial Ryan talks to Rebecca Romijn who is in the audience with her fiance Jerry O'Connell. She even makes a request. She wants see Taylor perform Jail house Rock again, and they give him the go ahead from upstairs. We then have the four brought on stage and separated into two groups, the top two and the bottom two.

Well we quickly learn that our top two are Taylor Hicks and Elliot Yamin. The bottom two are Chris Daughtry and Katharine McPhee. In a shocking development, Chris Daughtry goes home this week. Now I don't think many saw this coming, and I've made no secret he was my favorite in the competition. I'm sad to see him go home. I know he will succeed. He's had already one offer from the group Fuel early on in the game. So I'm sure we will see him do something.

However, I don't think we should have seen him go home this week. Could this be a matter of the voters thinking that he was safe so they didn't need to vote for him this week? Or did American really think he was the worst performer last night? I don't think he was the worst, but he is still going home. What do you think? Next week, the top three compete in the semi-finals.

6 comments:

Rosemary said...

I was very surprised to see Chris voted off. I thought it would be Katherine, or maybe Elliott.

Elliott sings well, but something's just not quite right. I think Simon said it was a matter of letting his personality show through. Anyway, it seems to me the AI folks have been pushing Elliott all along.

Anonymous said...

I say again, Chris was the logical choice to get voted off. He will have a contract long before whoever the winner is. He didn't need to win. As for the rest, I'm torn. I don't see any of them going very far. Kat has the looks, but not the voice. Elliott has the voice, but not the looks. Taylor will have a rough time. He has an alright voice, but not the looks to make it in today's competitive market.

Anonymous said...

I was disappointed with the rumors about some of Chris' vote mistakenly given to Kat. It just taints the whole competition. I think we should allow public voting but the ultimate decision should be with Simon, Randy and, of course, Paula. And quit the multiple phone number deal. Assign the top ten a phone number and stick with it through the end. It will decrease the confusion.

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

 
 
 
 
Copyright © One Couch Critic